Friday 4 August 2017

Sky Raiders and Calling the change - Michelle Diener

Garek's one year of duty as a guard walking the walls of Garamundo was extended to two when the sky raiders appeared. Two long years away from home and his lover, Taya. When he finally returns, the town is empty. While Garek was protecting Garamundo, the sky raiders were taking their victims from his hometown.

Taya can't bear looking into the night sky. All she can see is Barit, her home planet. Impossibly, the sky raiders have brought her and their other victims to Shadow, the planet that shadows her own, and looking up makes her aware of everything she's lost. Garek is out there somewhere. She knows he'll look, but he'll never find her.

She and the other captives have to find a way to escape. Without the food and clothes the sky raiders bring them from their raids on Barit, they'll starve on the almost barren wastes of Shadow. And when they've given the sky raiders enough of what they want, that's exactly what the sky raiders will leave them to do.


My thoughts:
Taya and Garek live in some corner of the universe on a planet that has not discovered technology. They do have magic though where they call upon the elements. Anyway they are not the most advance society and when the skyraiders come, sure magic is good, but hey those other guys have ships and guns.  The Ily can hold their own, but, there is always a but, the guardians can not be everywhere at once. And that takes us to this book.

Taya was taken and is now a slave in a mine. Why the raiders want that stuff she does not know. She is smart, resourceful and I liked her from the start. 

Garek comes home to find almost everyone gone. No wonder he is pissed since not one word was sent to him. He is brave, loyal and smart. He will do anything to get her back. Awww. Good guy there.

I want to know more about the raiders and I hope the next book tells me more. Right now I just see them as evil.

"Magic" versus tech. An advanced society against one that would not stand a chance were it not for the guardians, and certain other things.

I enjoyed it. It was light sci-fi and was very character driven. I do wonder what truly is going on though. It ends well, but something more is going on, I can not wait to find out what.

Kindle Edition, 380 pages
Published December 15th 2016 by Eclipse
Sky Raiders #1
Sci.fi
for review
He rescued her despite impossible odds—Garek has rescued Taya and the rest of his village from the sky raiders, but their return home doesn't bring easier times. The sky raiders aren't simply going to go away—they still need the shadow ore they came for, and they want the ships Garek stole from them back. But they aren't the only threat . . . 

First she was in danger from the aliens who abducted her, now she's in danger from her own people—Taya's been rescued, but she isn't home a week before she's taken again, this time by men who walked the walls with Garek. They've taken her as a consolation prize of sorts, having failed to get hold of Garek himself. They think Taya's value to the people they're working for is her relationship to Garek, but they are wrong . . . 

Garek and Taya never gave up on each other before, even when the distance between them was impossibly far, and they aren't giving up on each other now. As Garek searches for her, and Taya engineers her escape, they discover the motivations behind the new attacks on them are darker than the endless reaches of space they've just escaped from. 

My thoughts:
In the last book Garek rescued Taya (and a bunch of other slaves) and brought them back to their planet. Dang, he sure loves her, he stole a ship and went to the baddies and got her back. That is love, foolhardy love but still.

But things are not good back home. The ruler from where they are from is weak, other countries are looking to take over. People want Garek because he is powerful and now she is too.

In this one she gets taken...again. But she was never weak, and it shows, she is constantly thinking of ways to escape. And Garek is thinking of ways to rescue her too, and he never gives up, that silly man is so much in love.

It did feel a bit too long at times, but that was mostly cos it took me aaaaaaaaaaaages to finish it (baby wont sleep, there is just no time to read *cries* )

This was not the last one either, silly me, I thought so in my haze. Things end well like it did in book 1, but as you can see things are not that simple so stuff is going down. There are still things to be put right. Conspiracies to unfold and kings to topple. But these two can take care of themselves so that will be an easy match for sure.

Kindle Edition, 341 pages
Published July 17th 2017 by Eclipse
Sky Raiders #2
Sci-fi
For review


33 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one! I do much better with sci-fi in movie form, I think. Hugs and Happy Friday! RO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while since I've read stories like this one but it sure sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy this author, and I am glad to see these books were good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a decent mid sci-fi series, and for some reason I like the unappealing cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this author or series before but it sounds good. I like that it's a light sci-fi since I tend to get overwhelmed on the heavier stuff.
    Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No heavy stuff at all. light all the way

      Delete
  6. I have to say the covers do nothing for me. However, I do like a good scifi story and these look interesting. I hope your little one starts sleeping better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She always finds new ways to hate sleeping

      Delete
  7. Hmmmm... I like the sound of the first one, but I worry that the second one is repetitive (kidnapped again?!) and you mention a bit long...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That felt a bit wtf, I would have rather see him kidnapped ;)

      Delete
  8. I like the sound of both the main characters, that alone would draw me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. And now i see i am on my other account

      Delete
  9. Didn't I read something by this author recently? the name sounds familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really cant tell if u are serious or not....no comprende sarcasm...

      Delete
  10. Ohhh a double review! Sorry the baby's having a bit of sleep trouble. Not having time to read sucks. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like books like these that have a cool mix of fantasy and sci-fi elements. A magic and tech combo sounds awesome.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was this pure sci fi or did it have any romance in it from Garek and Taya being the protagonists. I love sci fi but so far I've mostly been reading sci fi romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly it was almost fantasy to be honest. Very little scifi in it, and yes there was romance so sci.fi romance yes

      Delete
  13. Who needs technology when you have magic? This sounds like a cool mashup of sci-fi, fantasy, and romance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to try to read more sci fi. Sorry the baby is not wanting to sleep :(

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP